We give banking clients the authoritative guidance they need to grow and thrive.
Our lawyers’ wide-ranging experience representing banking and financial institution clients runs the gamut from mergers and acquisitions to dealing with regulators, negotiating and documenting loan transactions, raising capital, organizing holding companies and affiliates, and loan enforcement proceedings in state and federal courts. This background affords our clients the opportunity to access a unique set of talented and experienced lawyers who work as full business partners in these relationships, taking the time to identify and execute flexible, creative, and entrepreneurial strategies that help our clients succeed.
Supplementing our deep knowledge of banking, litigation, corporate, and securities law, we draw on the experience of colleagues at the firm to assist clients with tax, employee benefit, employment law, loan origination and securitization, loan workouts and collections, asset dispositions, real estate matters, and other issues as they arise.
- Privately owned community banks in the Midwest and Southeast with assets up to $5 billion
- Publicly traded community banks, regional banks, and super-regional banks in the Midwest and Southeast with assets exceeding $200 billion
- National and state-chartered banks, bank holding companies, non-depository trust companies, and other financial institution affiliates
- Advising banks and holding companies on structuring mergers and acquisitions as well as branch asset and affiliate purchases and sales
- Representing banks in interactions with regulatory agencies, including the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and various Federal Reserve Banks, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and state banking authorities
- Representing banks in loan enforcement, workouts, and asset disposition
- Defense of lender liability claims
- Representing banks in regulatory enforcement actions and other issues arising from bank examinations, including implementation of required remedial actions
- Advising clients on private placements and public offerings of debt and equity securities
- Counsel on forming banks, holding companies, non-depository trust companies, financial and operating subsidiaries, and related entities
- Serving as transactional counsel in commercial lending activities
- Assisting boards of directors in responding to litigation related to bank operations
- Assisting public reporting community financial institutions with reporting obligations under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934
- Advising boards of directors and management of community banks on implications of legislation and regulation such as the JOBS Act, Dodd-Frank, and Sarbanes-Oxley
- Advising on trust services, including helping banking clients partner with other trust providers to deliver trust services to their clients
- Representing client interests with banking regulators
- Addressing deficiencies in the CAMELS components (capital adequacy, asset quality, management, earnings, liquidity, and sensitivity to risks)