We offer practical, innovative advice and representation on public projects.
Governments and special districts rely on Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP to serve as general counsel, bond counsel, and special counsel. Both elected and administrative officials turn to us for innovative approaches and practical solutions to their bond finance, tax levy, public-private partnership, and statutory authority concerns.
We emphasize collaborative approaches that look at the universe of statutory, tax code, and political options to devise creative ways to accomplish public purposes—whether helping a client pass a levy or create a public-private partnership.
We add value for our public entity clients through our deep knowledge of governmental process and procedure. Our counseling—which draws on a combination of experience, creativity, and capabilities—reflects insights gained from decades of work as outside general and special counsel in areas such as finance, special district formation, economic development, public-private partnership, labor and employment, education, and environmental matters.
Clients call on us daily for guidance on high-profile concerns such as financings, tax levies, constitutional limitations on lending of credit, open meetings laws, contracting and competitive bidding, conflicts of interest, and constitutional litigation on issues like jail overcrowding. We have built lasting relationships with many public entities for whom we have resolved finance and policy challenges.
Above all, we understand the financial constraints imposed on governmental entities. When serving as bond counsel, we advise on covenant compliance and innovative credit enhancements that can help clients develop an advantageous transaction structure. Similarly, we offer guidance on structuring tax levies to enhance revenue-raising capability while maintaining voter appeal.
We bring unique thinking to the table when advising clients on structuring creative public-private partnerships. When structuring complex financing arrangements from public and private sources to create sports facilities, convention centers, and performing arts venues, we comprehensively address relevant tax considerations. Additionally, we assist governmental clients in maximizing the revenue-enhancing potential of economic development incentives such as tax increment financing districts and special tax abatements and credits.
In advising clients on both taxable and tax-exempt bond and note financings, we regularly act as bond counsel and counsel to issuers, borrowers, underwriters, purchasers, credit enhancers, and trustees, who recognize that we have both the knowledge and experience to suggest structures that will facilitate their projects’ success.
- Cities, villages, counties, towns, and public hospitals
- Joint authorities and special districts for hospitals, port facilities, sports facilities, convention centers, cultural venues, water, infrastructure, special assessments, and economic development
- Special purpose financing districts
- Public school districts, colleges, and universities
- State governmental agencies and authorities that require special counsel services
- Government councils
- Bond and note financings
- Representation of state and local governmental entities on organizational issues, governance, compliance, and business concerns
- Structuring of and operational guidance for joint authorities and public-private partnerships
- Assistance with crafting and offering economic development incentives
- Advice on tax levy structuring and approval
- Special counsel in areas such as labor and employment, litigation, and environmental law